Spiced Oat & Bean Veggie Burgers
Monday Mornflake Meals
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Medium onion - peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
- 1 Can kidney beans - drained and rinsed
- 50g Carrot - grated
- 50g Mornflake Organic Oats
- 2 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- ½ tsp Cumin seed - lightly crushed
- ½ Red chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
- Generous pinch dried chilli flake - to taste
- 2tbs Fresh coriander - chopped
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Heaped tsp ground chia seed (or linseed)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
How to make
1. Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes until softened, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
2. Whizz half the kidney beans in food processor or blender until you have a rough paste. Add the other half of the beans to the onion and garlic and lightly crush the beans with a potato masher. Add the blended beans and all the other ingredients.
3. Mix well, adding a little water, if needed, so the mixture is sticky and will bind.
4. Divide into 6 and shape into burgers. Leave in the fridge for a few hours to firm up.
5. Fry in a little vegetable oil for 4 - 5 minutes on each side until crisp.
6. Serve in a bun, with salad and your choice of burger topping.
These freeze well, defrost before cooking.